Are you an experienced investor?
Experienced investors fall under one of two categories: Certified Sophisticated Investors and High Net Worth Individuals. To be classed under one of these categories you must meet the definitions stated in the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (Financial Promotion) Order 2005.
If you do not fall into one of these two categories, you may be interested in reading the New Investor section of this website.
I’m an experienced investor
Read on to find out more about SEIS
I’m not an experienced investor (or I’m not sure)
You may prefer to read the section of this website for new investors
Types of experienced investor
1. Certified Sophisticated Investor
To be classed as a Certified Sophisticated Investor at least one of the following statements must apply to you.
- I am a member of a network or syndicate of business angels and have been so for at least six months
- I have made more than one investment in an unlisted company in the last two years
- I am working, or have worked in the last two years, in a professional capacity in the private equity sector, or in the provision of finance for small and medium enterprises
- I am currently, or have been in the last two years, a director of a company with an annual turnover of at least £1 million
2. High Net Worth Individual
To be classed as a High Net Worth Individual at least one of the following statements must apply to you.
- I had, during the last financial year, an annual income to the value of £100,000 or more
- I held, throughout the last financial year, net assets to the value of £250,000 or more.
Net assets for these purposes do not include:
- The property which is my primary residence or any loan secured on that residence
- Any rights of mine under a qualifying contract of insurance within the meaning of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (Regulated Activities) Order 2001
- Any benefits (in the form or pensions or otherwise) which are payable on the termination of my service or on my death or retirement and to which I am (or my dependents are) or may be, entitled